Maxis outage in Kota Kinabalu

There is no Maxis / Hotlink cellphone service in Kota Kinabalu. And there’s also no information on the outage it either.

Woke up this morning around 8am with no reception on my phone. No bars. Not one.

It’s not unusual for my phone to show no bars.  My phone has taken many impressive tumbles from my hands and well, now strange things sometimes happen.  It has also, on occasion, happened that my entire neighbourhood has lost coverage, so I wasn’t too surprised by it.

But by the time I left my neighbourhood and had switched my phone on and off several times (even opening the back to remove the battery and the SIM card to blow on it – hey, sometimes it does work), there was still no reception.  I happened to be in the Karamunsing Shopping Centre and popped into the Maxis Service Kiosk to ask for assistance.

“The entire system has a problem”, offered the attendant even before I could finish my sad tale of a possibly broken phone. “All our phones are down too”, he said as he pointed as his colleagues.

At lunch time, with still no reception, I went online to, with a futile hope that there would be some sort of message, a public announcement, an apology or even just a clue acknowledging a problem and setting a time-line for rectifying it.

But no such luck.

I phoned the Maxis help line to get some info, but quickly realised that every other Maxis subscriber might be doing exactly the same thing.  The line was engaged and I gave up.

Here in Sabah we are often kept on our toes with reminders to what life was like before modern conveniences such as running water, electricity, internet connections and cellphone reception.

I wonder how long this survival training will last.

Update 30 June, 17:14: Brenda gave me a heads up about an update on Maxis’ website, but it simply confirms what thousands of subscribers knew already and they (Maxis) elegantly understates it by saying “… subscribers in Sabah have been experiencing some problems in making and receiving calls and SMS since early this morning…“.

I’ve not been experiencing some difficulty making and receiving phone calls and SMSs, I’ve not had a connection, at all.  I wonder why it took them so long to put a message on their website – were they too busy answering the Complaint Line?

They also say they’re working on the problem and will restore service as soon as possible.  I would hope so. If, according to Brenda, the outage has been since at least 2am, then we’re already looking at 15 hours of down time.

Somebody’s going to have a lot to explain. I mean, somebody should have a lot to explain, but it’s going to be just one of those things.


  • Hin Ching

    30 June 2008 at 21:38

    It is speculated that it is something about something under the sea causing the ruckus. Then again, I am expecting a public apology in tomorrow's newspapers or at least some sort of subsidy being planned.

  • Brenda

    30 June 2008 at 22:59

    Thank You. You had more information on your blog than the people at the Maxis store in Labuan. My line has been out since early this morning…2 am and I started calling maxis from 6.30 am…but could not get through. Tried to complain online but could not get through either. Don't you just love it when technology works for you in this manner?!!! I didn't know I relied on my handphone so much. FYI, Maxis has a notice on their website now…but no news about when we'll get out line back…sigh

  • someone

    2 July 2008 at 00:16

    its already 1 and a half day now.. since my phone is "good for nothing" how much hours we have to wait anymore?

    because of this i have to borrowed my sis sim card "digi"…

    at least.. they should inform about the matter sooner…

    yup.. i try to submit a fault report too.. but.. then i now.. everyone failed to get respond from them…

  • ArMs

    12 July 2008 at 08:20

    It's a good thing that I'm a loyal user of Digi:)

  • David

    4 July 2015 at 11:13

    Thank you for your information. I now have Maxis service at Tanjung Aru albeit somewhat slow. I have just returned to Sabah after being overseas for one year over. Two years ago I set up our home with Maxis cellular WIFI and changed to Maxis SIM voice/data plan on my iPhone.
    Until leaving Sabah both worked brilliantly as Maxis service coverage was excellent. However, since returning to Sabah I have really struggled with their internet speed and reliability. Also the phone coverage has been very poor. Have other users noticed this also?

  • Jaco Swanepoel

    4 July 2015 at 15:07

    Maxis is notoriously slow, but I think it’s a Sabah thing. Everytime my monthly internet runs out I threaten to switch to Digi, but after 3 tries over the last year, every time encountering very bad customer service at their outlets, I’ve realised “choice” is an illusion in Sabah, everything is just substandard. Maxis has actually been fined in the past for poor call quality – I rare talk on the phone, but when I do I hardly ever sustain a conversation for more than 3 minutes without being disconnected.

    Nobody complains, because as soon as you do it’s not about what you’re complaining anymore, it’s about the fact that you’re complaining. And so nothing improves…

Post a Comment

%d bloggers like this: